1. Where can I find out when the Ford County Board of Health is meeting?

Ford County Board of Health meets every other month, on the third Tuesday at Gibson Area Hospital East Board Room.  Visit “….” To view meeting minutes and agendas. 


2. How do I get a Tuberculosis (TB) test?

We administer TB skin tests on any Monday, Tuesday or Friday by appointment. 


3. What does Public Health do about the West Nile virus?

We monitor local populations of mosquitoes for West Nile infection. This helps us alert the public about areas that are more likely to contain infected mosquitoes. We also monitor state health department reports of West Nile infected birds. 


4. What do I do if I find a dead bird?

Between May 1 and October 15, birds believed dead less than 48 hours without damage or decay will be submitted for testing:

  • Double bag the dead bird (using ziplock or Walmart type bag), place dead bird on chill packs or refrigerate ASAP
  • Deliver bird to our office or contact our office to schedule pick-up.


5. I'm planning to install a private sewage system. What do I need to do?

Go to “Environmental Health - Septic” section of this website for more information and forms.


6. I want to drill a new well. What do I need to know?

Go to “Environmental Health - Well” section of this website for more information and forms.


7. I need a permit application for a food service. What do I do?

Go to “Environmental Health -Food” section of this website for more information and forms.


8. Where can I get immunizations?

We provide immunizations to kids through the federal Vaccines for Children (VFC) program (Uninsured/Underinsured/Medicaid).

We provide some private pay immunizations to kids and adults.  Contact our office for details.

Vaccine services available in our office by appointment.


9. How can I get a vision and hearing screening for my child?

Vision and Hearing Screenings are conducted on children in pre-K through 12th grade at Ford County School Districts, Pre-Schools and Head-Start programs.  Also available in our office by appointment.


10. How do I get a flu shot?

Adult and Child flu shots are offered in the fall and winter seasons.  Visit one of the walk-in clinics or contact our office to schedule an appointment.


11. How is my privacy protected?

In 1996, Congress passed the Health Insurance Portability and Accountability Act. This act set in place certain rules regarding the disclosure of medical privacy policies. 

HIPAA requires us to notify you about your privacy rights and how your information can be used. We must have and use a privacy policy for all patient/client records. We must train our employees so that they understand the privacy procedures and we must designate an individual to be responsible for seeing that the privacy procedures are adopted and followed. We are also required to store patient records containing individually identifiable health information so that they are not readily available to those who do not need them.


12. Can I just walk in for services or do I need an appointment?

Walk-ins are accepted when appropriate staff is present.  Appointments are recommended to ensure staff availability.


13. Where do I go to get WIC (Women, Infants & Children) services?

These services are available through Gibson Area Hospital WIC Program (  Located at Paxton Community and Wellness Center 711 East Pells, Paxton, IL 60957 (217)579-1087.


14. How do I know if I qualify for services?

Any resident of Ford County qualifies for services from Public Health. Some programs, such as the Illinois Breast and Cervical Cancer Program are also available to people from other counties. Some programs require that you meet income guidelines to qualify for services.


15. Where is Public Health?

Our main office is located at 235 North Taft Street, Paxton, IL 60957.


16. What is Public Health? How is it different from a medical clinic or hospital?

Public Health is not a "full-service" medical facility. We do not offer primary medical care for adults or children. We do offer a range of services, some of which are also provided in doctors' offices. Our mission is to prevent disease and to lessen the impact of disease. We strive to make our services accessible to anyone in Ford County, and some of our services are available to people in other counties.

  • Agency on Aging
  • Community Care Coordination
  • DHS
  • CDC
  • Gibson Area Hospital & Health Services
  • Benefit Access Program